- Aug. 20th, 2022. Wei’s paper “Design and fabrication of a terahertz dual-plane hologram and extended-depth-of-focus diffractive lens” selected as Editor’s pick in Optics Continuum.
- Aug. 18th, 2022. Prof. Sensale Rodriguez was awarded a Chair’s award from the ECE department.
- Aug. 1st, 2022. Wei awarded a SPIE Education Scholarship and a University Graduate Research Fellowship from the University of Utah graduate school.
- Aug. 12th, 2021. Several papers accepted for publication or published during the last couple of months:
- JIA, W.; MENON, R.; SENSALE-RODRIGUEZ, B.; “Unique prospects of phase change material Sb₂Se₃ for ultra-compact reconfigurable nanophotonic devices,” Optical Materials Express, accepted, 2021.
- KIGNER, O.; MEEM, M.; BAKER, B.; BANERJI, S.; HON, P.; SENSALE-RODRIGUEZ, B.; MENON, R.; “Monolithic all-Silicon Flat lens for broadband LWIR Imaging,” Optics Letters, accepted, 2021.
- MEEM, M.; MAJUMDER, A.; BANERJI, S.; GARCIA, J.C., KIGNER, O.; HON, P.; SENSALE-RODRIGUEZ, B.; MENON, R.; “Imaging from the visible to the longwave infrared wavelengths via an inverse-designed flat lens,” Optics Express, 29(13), 20715-20723, 2021.
- June 18th, 2021. Prashanth defended his PhD thesis.
- May 4th, 2021. New paper: “Real-time Multi-Task Diffractive Deep Neural Networks via Hardware-Software Co-design”, collaboration with Profs. Yu and Gao, accepted for publication in Scientific Reports.
- April 13th, 2021. Leila and Jackie’s review paper “Methods for Synthesizing β-Ga2O3 Thin Films Beyond Epitaxy” accepted for publication in Journal of Physics: Photonics.
- March 15th, 2021. Wei’s manuscript “Ammonia Optical Gas Sensing Based on Graphene-Covered Silicon Microring Resonators: A Design Space Exploration”, accepted for publication in Microelectronics Journal.
- March 8th, 2021. Sourangsu’s manuscript “Inverse Designed THz Spectral Splitters“, accepted for publication in IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters.
- February 4rd, 2021. Leila’s manuscript “Optical Characterization of Gallium Oxide α and β Polymorph Thin-Films Grown on c-Plane Sapphire“, accepted for publication in Journal of Electronic Materials.
- February 3rd, 2021. Prashanth awarded the NIST student award at the 62nd Electronic Materials Conference (EMC).
- January 27th, 2021. Sourangsu’s paper “Ultra-compact integrated photonic devices enabled by Machine Learning and Digital Metamaterials” accepted for publication in OSA Continuum.
- January 14th, 2021. Prashanth’s paper: “Terahertz Characterization of Two-Dimensional Low-Conductive Layers Enabled by Metal Gratings” accepted for publication in Scientific Reports.
- December 21st, 2020. Paper “The anisotropic quasi-static permittivity of single-crystal beta-Ga2O3 measured by terahertz spectroscopy” selected as Editor’s Pick in APL.
- December 1st, 2020. Prashanth’s paper: “The anisotropic quasi-static permittivity of single-crystal beta-Ga2O3 measured by terahertz spectroscopy” accepted for publication in APL.
- December 1st, 2020. Work on versatile diffractive flat optics highlighted in Optics & Photonics News Optics in 2020.
- November 25th, 2020. Sourangsu defended his PhD thesis.
- October 19th, 2020. Sourangsu’s paper: “Super-resolution imaging with an achromatic multi-level diffractive microlens array” accepted for publication in Optics Letters.
- August 17th, 2020. Sourangsu’s: “Impact of fabrication errors and refractive index on multilevel diffractive lens performance” accepted for publication in Scientific Reports.
- August 3rd, 2020. Sourangsu’s paper: “Inverse Designed Flat Optics with Diffractive Lenses” finalist for student paper award in 2020 OSA Imaging and Applied Optics Congress.
- July 14th, 2020. Sourangsu’s paper: “Machine Learning enables Design of On-chip Integrated Silicon T-junctions with footprint of 1.2 um x 1.2 um” accepted for publication in Nano Communication Networks.
- July 8th, 2020. New paper: “Inverse-designed flat lens for imaging in the visible & near-infrared with diameter > 3mm and NA=0.3” accepted for publication in APL.
- June 28th, 2020. Sourangsu’s paper “An inverse designed achromatic flat lens operating in the ultraviolet” accepted for publication in OSA Continuum.
- June 20th, 2020. Three papers (“Computational Design Of THz Spectral Splitters”, “Inverse Designed Flat Optics For Imaging Applications In The IR And Beyond”, “Anisotropic Terahertz Permittivity Of β-Ga2O3”) accepted for presentation in IRMMW-THz 2020.
- May 11th, 2020. Sourangsu Banerji was awarded a OSA Foundation, Incubic, Milton Chang CLEO travel award (CLEO).
- April 21th, 2020. Five upcoming presentations in CLEO 2020:
Designing Ultra-Compact Silicon T-junctions using Machine Learning (JTh2A.137)
Imaging across an Unlimited Bandwidth: is it possible? (FM3D.3)
Large-Area Ultra-Broadband Achromatic Flat Lens for Imaging in the SWIR (JTu2A.182) – Dynamic e-Poster
Single Flat lens enables Extreme Depth of Focus Imaging (AM3K.1)
Ultra-thin Near-infrared Camera via Single Flat lens for Wide-angle Imaging (FM1R.4)
- April 15th, 2020. Jackie’s work on optical properties of ultra-thin Ga2O3 accepted for presentation in SPIE Optics + Photonics as Invited paper:
- April 15th, 2020. Sourangsu’s work on THz spectral splitters accepted for presentation in SPIE Optics + Photonics:
- April 15th, 2020. Prof. Sensale-Rodriguez guest editing a special issue on silicon resonators (Microelectronics Journal, Elsevier), submission deadline Nov. 25, 2020:
- April 7th, 2020. Jackie and Leila’s manuscript “Synthesis and Characterization of Large-Area Nanometer-thin β-Ga2O3 Films from Oxide Printing of Liquid Metal Gallium” accepted for publication in Physica Status Solidi A.
- March 24th, 2020. Media reports on our extreme depth of focus work:
OSA press release:
- February 19th, 2020. New paper “Large-area, high-NA Multi-level Diffractive Lens via inverse design” (collaboration with Prof. Menon’s group) accepted for publication in Optica.
- February 11th, 2020. Sourangsu’s paper “Extreme depth of focus imaging with a flat lens” (collaboration with Prof. Menon’s group) accepted for publication in Optica.
- January 15th, 2020. Sensale-Rodriguez’s group to participate in DARPA EXTREME program to demonstrate the largest-area ever flat lenses.
- September 30th, 2019. Sourangsu’s paper “A single flat lens enables imaging in the Short-Wave Infra-Red (SWIR) Band” (collaboration with Prof. Menon’s group) accepted for publication in OSA Continuum.
- September 18th, 2019. New paper “Broadband lightweight flat lenses for long wave-infrared imaging” (collaboration with Prof. Menon’s group) accepted for publication in PNAS.
- September 10th, 2019. Sourangsu’s paper “Ultra-thin Near Infrared camera enabled by a flat multi-level diffractive lens ” (collaboration with Prof. Menon’s group) accepted for publication in Optics Letters.
- August 15th, 2019. Prof. Sensale-Rodriguez awarded the 2019 outstanding ECE teaching award.
- August 15th, 2019. New NSF award “Reconfigurable free-form metamaterials: a new design paradigm for integrated optoelectronics based on 2D materials” for developing a new class of optoelectronic devices. This award is part of a NSF/Ireland international R&D partnership and will support research at Utah, Queens University Belfast, and Tyndall Institute over the next three years. The grant will cover, in addition to research, academic exchange between the partner institutions.
- July 19th, 2019. Our recent manuscript in Optica about flat lenses was the top downloaded paper in June. This paper is important as it summarizes the key differences between multi-level diffractive lenses and metalenses.
- July 1st, 2019. Prashanth’s manuscript “Two-dimensional Materials for Terahertz Modulation” accepted for publication in Advanced Optical Materials.
- July 1st, 2019. Prof. Sensale-Rodriguez awarded tenure, promoted to Associate Professor and elevated to senior member of the IEEE.
- June 26th, 2019. Sourangsu awarded the best paper award in Imaging Systems and Applications for his work on flat lenses for imaging at the OSA Imaging and Applied Optics Congress, Munich, Germany, Congratulations!
- June 15th, 2019. Three papers on THz detection in graphene, graphene THz metamaterials, and LWIR imaging, accepted for presentation in IRMMW-THz 2019, Paris France.
- May 21st, 2019. Sourangsu’s manuscript “Imaging with flat optics: metalenses or diffractive lenses?” accepted for publication in Optica.
- May 21st, 2019. Sara’s paper “THz characterization and demonstration of visible-transparent/terahertz- functional electromagnetic structures in ultra-conductive La-doped BaSnO3 Films” among the most accessed articles in 2018 in Scientific Reports
- May 17th, 2019. Jackie’s abstract on atomically thin Ga2O3 films accepted for poster presentation in IWGO-3.
- March 13th, 2019. Ashish’s paper “Manifestation of Kinetic-Inductance in Terahertz Plasmon Resonances in Thin-Film Cd3As2” accepted for publication in ACS Nano.
- March 13th, 2019. Jimy’s Phys. Rev. Appl. paper selected as “Editor’s Highlight”
- March 13th, 2019. Sourangsu papers on “Metalenses or diffractive lenses for imaging?” and “Achromatic Broadband Diffractive Lenses for Focusing and Imaging in LWIR” accepted for presentation in OSA’s Imaging Congress and Applied Optics Congress (part of CLEO Europe).
- March 1st, 2019. Two papers, collaboration with Prof. Menon’s group, accepted for presentation in CLEO, “Programmable metamaterials & metasurfaces for ultra- compact multi-functional photonics” and “Flat Lenses for Ultra-lightweight Longwave-Infrared Broadband Imaging”.
- February 15th, 2019. Jimy’s paper “Broken symmetry effects due to polarization on resonant tunneling transport in double-barrier nitride heterostructures” accepted for publication in Physical Review Applied.
- February 15th, 2019. Hugo has been awarded the ECE Outstanding Dissertation Award. Congratulations!
- January 3rd, 2019. Prashanth’s paper “Ultrafast THz Modulators with WSe2 thin films ” accepted for publication in Optical Materials Express.
- December 24th, 2018. Yunshan’s paper “Incident wavelength and polarization dependence of spectral shifts in β-Ga2O3 UV photoluminescence” accepted for publication in Scientific Reports.
- December 6th, 2018. Hugo successfully defended his PhD dissertation. Congratulations!
- August 31st, 2018. Sara’s paper “Graphene-dielectric integrated THz metasurfaces” accepted for publication in Semiconductor Science and Technology (IOP).
- August 10th, 2018. Hugo’s JAP paper on plasmonic THz absorption in GaN HEMT arrays chosen as Editor’s pick and as cover feature.
- August 6th, 2018. Sourangsu’s poster “From visible to THz: planar optics for high-precision, energy-efficient laser applications” awarded with a student poster award at the São Paulo School of Advanced Science (SPSAS) + XIV Jorge André Swieca School on Non linear and Quantum Optics (SWIECA).
- August 6th, 2018. Prof. Sensale-Rodriguez named one of the top-instructors in the University of Utah College of Engineering (selected from student evaluations) during the Spring semester of 2018.
- July 31st, 2018. Hugo’s paper “Comparison of unit cell coupling for grating‐gate and high electron mobility transistor array THz resonant absorbers” accepted for publication in Journal of Applied Physics (JAP).
- June 12th, 2018. Sourangsu named one of the six finalists for the student award in IRMMW-THz 2018.
- June 1st, 2018. New MURI project “Fundamentals of Doping and Defects in Ga2O3 for High Breakdown Field Electronics” (PIs: Scarpulla, Krishnamoorthy and Sensale-Rodriguez @ UofU; Lynn @ WSU) to start this fall.
- May 27th, 2018. Hugo’s, Sourangsu’s, Prashanth’s, and Ashish’s papers accepted and all four elevated to keynote talks in IRMMW-THz 2018, in Nagoya, Japan, September 9-14.
- May 17th, 2018. Our paper “Large nanoscale electronic conductivity in complex oxide heterostructures with ultra high electron density” among the most read articles in APL Materials in 2016 and 2017.
- May 10th, 2018. Mehdi successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis. Congratulations!
- April 16th, 2018. Prashanth’s (Exploring Transient Terahertz Carrier Dynamics in Large-Area WSe2 Thin Films), and Yunshan’s (Photoluminescence from β-Ga2O3 Bulk Crystals—Spectral Dependences on Incident Wavelength and Polarization) abstracts accepted for presentation at the 60th Electronic Materials Conference (EMC), in Santa Barbara, CA, June 27-29.
- April 10th, 2018. Sourangsu’s paper “Modified direct binary search: an algorithm for designing aberration corrected diffractive THz lenses” has been accepted for presentation at SPIE Optics + Photonics, San Diego, CA, August 19-23, 2018.
- March 3rd, 2018. Hugo’s and Sourangsu’s papers have been accepted for presentation at the 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and North American Radio Science Meeting in Boston, Massachusetts, July 8-13, 2018.
- February 26th, 2018. Sourangsu’s paper “Efficient Design of Diffractive THz Lenses for Aberration Rectified Focusing via Modified Binary Search Algorithm” has been accepted in CLEO 2018, May 13-18, San Jose, CA.
- February 15th, 2018. Sara’s paper: “THz characterization and demonstration of visible-transparent / terahertz-functional electromagnetic structures in ultra-conductive La-doped BaSnO3 Films,” has been accepted for publication in Scientific Reports.
- November 29th, 2017. Sara successfully defended her Ph.D. thesis. Congratulations!
- September 25th, 2017. Ashish’s paper on THz plasmons in Cd3As2 accepted as invited oral presentation in Photonics West. Sara’s paper on THz spectroscopy of La-doped BSO accepted for oral presentation.
- September 9th, 2017. New collaborative paper, B. Gupta et al., “Terahertz magneto-plasmonics using cobalt subwavelength aperture arrays” has been accepted for publication in Scientific Reports.
- September 3rd, 2017. Jimy’s paper on resonant tunneling in GaN “New tunneling features in polar III-nitride resonant tunneling diodes” has been accepted for publication in PRX (Physical Review X).
- July 18th, 2017. Hugo’s paper titled “Terahertz spectroscopy of an electron-hole bilayer system in AlN/GaN/AlN quantum wells” has been accepted for publication in APL (Applied Physics Letters).
- June 22nd, 2017. Hugo’s paper titled “Experimental demonstration of enhanced terahertz coupling to plasmon in ultra-thin membrane AlGaN/GaN HEMT arrays” accepted as Late News at the 75th Device Research Conference (DRC), in University of Notre Dame, IN, June 25-28, 2017.
- April 1st, 2017. Hugo’s (Terahertz Spectroscopy of Strained AlN/GaN/AlN Quantum Wells), Sara’s (Fundamental Bounds for the Resonance Strength in Graphene Plasmonic Structures), Sourangsu’s (UV Surface Plasmon Resonance Modification in Aluminum Nanohole-Arrays Using Graphene), and Asish’s (Large-area Deposition of Cadmium Arsenide Films using Thermal Deposition) abstracts accepted for presentation at the 59th Electronic Materials Conference (EMC), in Notre Dame, IN, June 28-30, 2017.
- March 31st, 2017. Four papers: Sara on THz beam-steering using VO2 deep-subwavelength metamaterials, Xinbo on Designer metamaterials using graphene for integrated nano-photonic applications, Hugo on Strong terahertz wave coupling to plasmons in grating-grate GaN HEMT arrays, and Yunshan & Sourangsu on SPP resonances in graphene loaded hole arrays, accepted for presentation in SPIE Optics + Photonics, San Diego, CA, August 6-10, 2017.
- March 1st, 2017. Yunshan’s and Sourangsu’s paper “Modification of UV Surface Plasmon Resonances in Aluminum Hole-Arrays with Graphene” has been accepted in CLEO 2017, May 14-19, San Jose, CA.
- November 22nd, 2016. Mehdi’s paper “A Continuous Compact DC Model for Dual-Independent-Gate FinFETs” has been accepted for publication in the IEEE Journal of the Electron Devices Society.
- November 9th, 2016. Sara’s paper titled “Graphene-based reconfigurable terahertz plasmonics and metamaterials” has been accepted for publication in Carbon.
- October 10th, 2016. Sara’s paper titled “Tunable Terahertz Metamaterials Employing Layered 2D-materials Beyond Graphene” has been accepted for publication in the IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics.
- August 3rd, 2016. Hugo’s paper titled “Terahertz amplification in RTD-gated HEMTs with a grating-gate wave coupling topology” has been accepted for publication in APL (Applied Physics Letters).
- July 28th, 2016. Sara’s work on high conductivity in complex oxide heterostructures (APL materials) has been featured by IEEE Spectrum, Phys.org, EETimes, ScienceDaily, and several other media outlets.
- July 12th, 2016. New paper accepted for publication in APL Materials. S. Arezoomandan, H. Condori, A. Chanana, P. Xu, A. Nahata, B. Jalan, and B. Sensale-Rodriguez, “Large electronic conductivity in complex oxide heterostructures with ultra high electron density”.
- July 12th, 2016. New paper accepted for publication in Nano Communication Networks (Elsevier). M. Hasan, S. Arezoomandan, H. Condori, and B. Sensale-Rodriguez, “Graphene terahertz devices for communications applications”.
- June 16th, 2016. Hugo’s paper on terahertz amplification accepted for poster presentation at 2016 Lester Eastman Biennial Conference, Lehigh University, August 2nd to 4th, 2016.
- June 13th, 2016. Paper on near field enhancement and modulation in terahertz metamaterials accepted for presentation at NFO-14, Hamamatsu, Japan, September 4th to 8th, 2016.
- April 25th, 2016. Four papers (Sara on high-Q reconfigurable metamaterials, Mehdi on THz detectors, Hugo on THz amplification, and Berardi on THz properties of complex oxides) accepted for presentation in SPIE Optics + Photonics, San Diego, CA, August 28th to September 1st, 2016.
- April 11th, 2016. Mehdi’s abstract on: compact modeling of multiple independent gate field effect transistors, has been accepted for poster presentation at the 74rd Device Research Conference (DRC), in University of Delaware, DE, June 19-22, 2016.
- March 21st, 2016. Sara’s paper “Tunable THz metamaterial and plasmonic devices based on graphene” has been accepted in CLEO 2016, June 5-10, San Jose, CA.
- February 11th, 2016. New paper accepted for publication in ACS Photonics. R. Yan, S. Arezoomandan, B. Sensale-Rodriguez, and H. G. Xing, “Exceptional Terahertz Wave Modulation in Graphene Enhanced by Frequency Selective Surfaces”.
- January 15th, 2016. Paper: P. E. Gaillardon, M. Hasan, T. Ahmed, R. Walker, and B. Sensale-Rodriguez, “Digital, Analog and RF Design Opportunities of Three-Independent-Gate Transistors”, accepted in ISCAS 2016, Montreal, May 22-25, 2016.
- December 15th, 2015. New collaborative paper: S. Bhardwaj et al. “Resonant Tunneling Assisted Propagation and Amplification of Plasmons in HEMTs”, accepted for publication in JAP (Journal of Applied Physics).
- August 29th, 2015. Open Postdoctoral position (link: PostDoc Add ).
- August 21st, 2015. Mehdi’s paper on distributed effects in symmetric graphene field effect transistors (SymFETs), titled: “Effect of the intra-layer potential distributions and spatial currents on the performance of graphene SymFETs” has been accepted for publication in AIP Advances.
- May 17th, 2015. Hugo’s paper “Effect Of Electron Momentum Relaxation Time On The Terahertz Plasmonic Properties Of Graphene Structures” was accepted for oral presentation in IRMMW-THz 2015, Hong Kong, August 23-28, 2015.
- April 13th, 2015. James defended his MS thesis.
- April 10th, 2015. Mehdi’s abstract on: two-dimensional modeling of symmetric graphene field effect transistors, has been accepted for poster presentation at the 73rd Device Research Conference (DRC), in Columbus, OH, June 21-24, 2015.
March 31st, 2015. Hugo was awarded a Travel Fellowship Grant Award from URSI to attend the 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and North American Radio Science Meeting in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, July 19-25, 2015.
- March 25th, 2015. Hugo’s and Sara’s abstracts on: (a) Grating-gate RTD-gated HEMTs and (b) Plasmonics in Complex Oxides, respectively, have been accepted for oral presentation at the 57th Electronic Materials Conference (EMC), in Columbus, OH, June 24-26, 2015.
- March 6th, 2015. The paper “TFET based circuit design using the transconductance generation efficiency gm/Id method”, result of a collaboration between Prof. Sensale-Rodriguez and Leonardo Barboni and Mariana Siniscalchi (Universidad de la Republica), has been accepted for publication in the IEEE Journal of the Electron Devices Society.
- March 6th, 2015. Sara’s Scientific Report’s paper appeared online.
- Feb. 27th, 2015. Sara’s abstract “Geometrical tradeoffs in designing deep subwavelength graphene based metamaterials” has been accepted for presentation at META’15, the 6th International Conference on Metamaterials, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics in New York City, NY, August 4-7, 2015.
- Feb. 25th, 2015. Hugo’s paper: “Power Gain at THz Frequencies Employing Grating-gate RTD-gated HEMTs,” has been accepted for presentation at the 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and North American Radio Science Meeting in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, July 19-25, 2015.
- Feb. 14th, 2015. Prof. Sensale-Rodriguez gave an invited talk at KAUST (Saudi Arabia) highlighting the recent accomplishments in the group.
- Feb. 9th, 2015. Sara’s paper: “Geometrical tradeoffs in graphene-based deeply-scaled electrically reconfigurable metasurfaces,” was accepted for publication in Scientific Reports.
- Feb. 1st, 2015. Hugo and Sara obtained the second place and an honorable mention, respectively, at the ECE GSAC student poster competition.
- Jan. 28th, 2015. Prof. Sensale-Rodriguez’s paper: “Graphene-insulator-graphene active plasmonic terahertz devices” was named one of the most accessed articles in Applied Physics Letters during 2014.